This is one of my favorite Giada De Laurentiis recipes. It’s a perfect summer drink that can be made ahead of time. The recipe makes a very strong lemonade, so if you prefer to lighten it up, simply add more club soda. If you have a Zoku popsicle maker, use the still water and you can quickly make Basil Lemonade Popsicles. You can also add a splash of vodka to make it an adult drink.
- 2 cups lemon juice, about 12 to 15 lemons [It doesn’t taste quite the same, but you can cheat and use store bought lemon juice if you don’t have time to juice all of the lemons]
- 2 cups Basil Simple Syrup, recipe follows
- 2 cups cold or sparkling water
- Lemon twists, for garnish
Mix lemon juice, Basil Simple Syrup, and water together in a pitcher. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Pour over ice filled glasses and garnish with a lemon twist.
Basil Simple Syrup:
- 1 bunch fresh basil, washed and stemmed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
In a saucepan combine basil, sugar, and water and simmer until the sugar is dissolved, 5 minutes. Cool, strain the simple syrup, and store in the refrigerator.